Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dr. Seuss...

Friday's are usually free days at the daycare; however, yesterday I fit in a few extra activities to conclude our Dr. Seuss theme.

Some of the parents ordered a Dr. Seuss book titled, My Book About Me for their child. I ordered one for ET, but not for Nate. I hope to make this Dr. Seuss unit a tradition each year,and so there will be an opportunity for Nate to fill one out in the future when he is a bit older.


Being that we were going off the "all about me" theme for this day, I started out the morning by tracing the kids bodies on butcher paper. The kids had fun coloring their paper to make it look like themselves.











Here the kids are working on their book. The book is a fill-in-the-blank type scrapbook. It is over 60 pages and so we did not have time to complete every page, although I know all the kids will enjoy completing the rest with their mom and dad.


Here you can see ET tracing his foot on one of the pages in the book.

The little kids colored their own version of the book that I downloaded and printed off.

Nate looks so studious. :)

After filling out their books, the kids FINALLY got to watch the "real" Cat in the Hat movie! :) The kids always take out chairs and blankies for movie day.



After the movie I read the book titled, The Lorax to the kids. This is such a good story!

We followed this up with a counting activity with pictures of the characters in the story.

I asked the kids, "How many trees do you think could be planted if you planted one tree and told two friends to plant a tree? Then those two friends told two friends to plant a tree, and so forth." I drew a diagram of how big of an impact we can make with this one small step.
Don't make fun of my drawing. I am not the greatest artist in town. :)

After nap and snack, I read the kids the book, Horton Hears a Who and then we followed it up with the movie, and a connect-the-dot letter activity.



It was a very fun filled week for the kids. I had fun planning everything, but in the end I am so eternally grateful for Mother Goose time curriculum. I tried my best to plan activities that hit on each subject area, but I still struggled to hit the musical and gross motor categories. That is the most wonderful thing about Mother Goose...it does all the planning for me, and it exceeds all the standards in each area of development. I personally called the company on Thursday to thank them for providing such a great product for teachers such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment