Friday, November 5, 2010

Happy Halloween!

For Halloween this year, I knew I was going to be out of town. My friend, Kat was getting married on a cruise ship. Not only did I want to see her get married, but it was a great opportunity for me to get my first “mommy break.” I have never been away from the ET longer than one night, and never more than a few hours from Nate. I really wanted a way to make the days before Halloween special knowing that I would be away for the actual trick or treating event and our annual church party.

I don’t have any pictures of this, but one thing we did this year was “boo” a couple of friends. I had heard from a daycare family that they put together a package and placed it on a friend’s doorstep, rang the doorbell and ran. I thought this would be a great idea to get into the Halloween spirit and a wonderful way to teach ET that it is better to give rather than receive. We planned to “boo” someone on the weekend of October 23. Well, we were all home on Friday, October 22 and we got “boo-ed!” :) It came as a big surprise and ET LOVED it! His basket was full of treats, a coloring book, stickers, pumpkins, festive napkins and plates, books, etc. We thought it was great that he was “boo-ed” mostly because then he realized what it meant and what it was I had been talking about for so long. :) So on Saturday, we “boo-ed” two friends. ET had fun going to the store and picking out gifts for his friends, watching mommy make treats, and putting together the basket of goodies. Not once did he behave in a jealous manner with regard to giving away all the fun gifts. I was so proud.

On Thursday, October 28, we celebrated Halloween at the daycare. This was the first time ET and Nate dressed in their costume. They were so adorable! ET was a “Green Bay Packer Football Player” and yes, you need to say the whole bit! ET insisted on that. :) Nate was a pumpkin. I could barely refrain from squeezing them…they were both just too darn cute! For the party, we played “Pin the Nose on the Pumpkin,” a pumpkin number walk game, and a candy corn counting game. We also danced to Halloween music, made candy necklaces, and watched a couple Halloween movies. For lunch we ate pumpkin shaped sandwiches, pumpkin shaped jello jigglers, and carrot sticks. It was a good time.









On Saturday, October 30, Jay ventured out on his own with the boys and attended the annual St. Luke’s harvest party. ET played games and won prizes, and went trick o’ treating in the sanctuary. ET said he had another great time.










On Halloween night, Gma D and Papa B came over to watch Nate so Jay could take ET out for trick o’ treating. Gma brought over a Hotdish for dinner. It was nice they all could have a warm home cooked meal before heading out into the cold. Jay pulled ET in the wagon and reported to me that they went around the whole neighborhood! They have quite a loot of candy to show for it. Jay said ET did a great job and said “trick or treat” just as instructed to do. I am so sad I wasn’t able to see that. Last year, ET was still so little; he only made it to a few houses, and never said trick or treat loud enough for anyone to hear him. Oh well, I’m sure next year he will be a pro and run from house to house! Halloween is such a fun holiday when you have kids to celebrate it with.



1 comment:

  1. What great pictures of Halloween. It must have been hard to miss it but good that you were able to get away for a while and be a grown up!

    ReplyDelete