Friday, June 10, 2011

ET's Four Year Stats...

ET went to the doctor on Friday, June 3rd. Here are his stats...

Height: 3' 8.25" (99.10%)
Weight: 43 lbs. (91.96%)

WOW! That is one big four-year-old! No wonder everyone always says he looks so tall and so much older. He grew four inches and gained seven pounds over the last year!

He did such a great job at the doctor. He made sure to show off all he knows to the doctor and even bragged that he ate apples for lunch! :) He received one vaccination, and didn't even shed a single tear, just winced a bit. He is getting so big!

One concern I brought up to his doctor was his feet still turning in when he walks. At this point it has been nearly a year since we started therapy and I really don't feel there has been a great amount of improvement. He walks down stairs a little better than before, but still trips quite a bit when walking or running. The doctor felt I had a valid concern, and so she decided to refer us to Gillette's for a second opinion (we were going to Children's Hospital before).
Jay brought him to Gillette's on Wednesday of this week. The doc looked ET over very thoroughly and even took many measurements. He received a lot of information about this being pretty common among young children. The doctor even showed Jay recent articles written on the subject and information showing us we were pretty much wasting our time and energy on the straps, therapy and shoe inserts. This doctor strongly feels it is something that he thinks ET will grow out of (because the statistics strongly show this). ET will go in for another check up two years from now, but the doctors wouldn't even consider surgery until ET is around 10-12 years old.
I have to say I am a little relieved to hear all this. With Children's I really felt like ET was a mystery to them, and they were just doing a lot of trial and error experiments on him. I hated putting his straps and shoe inserts on him, and so I am relieved that we are officially putting them to rest. I am also a little bothered that I wasted so much money and time on them though. I guess I can say I am glad we at least tried them, and so I know we exhausted all possible avenues for him. To sum things up, ET will now be switched to Gillette's and Jay and I feel pretty good about the doctor's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment