My parents recently purchased a new home in Bemidji. This is where my parents met, where my Dad when to college for a few years, and where my family camped nearly every year when I was young. This place has many memories for me as a child and I am happy and excited that our boys will have a "cabin" to escape to. I think it is so important for our boys to have a traditional place to go to and since our original family cabin is about on its last leg, I know this home with be that place for them.
We had such a great weekend! We drove up Friday night and arrived around 10:15 pm. Obviously, it was straight to bed for the boys. The cabin has four bedrooms. My Dad set up my old bunk beds from when I was a child in one bedroom. (He of course bought new mattresses for the beds.) The boys had a blast sharing a room together!
On Saturday morning, we headed to Ulen where my Grandma and Grandpa live. I feel horrible saying this, but I had not been up to visit them since I was a junior in high school. We spent the day in their town because they were having their annual Ulen Turkey BBQ.
They set up over 3,000 pounds of turkey over hot coals surrounded by cinder blocks...
Of course there was a parade. It was on the smaller side because this town is smaller than you can imagine, but they definitely had a good show of tractors and horses!
My Grandpa has been playing in the Ulen band for over 20 years! They play on a big rig while it drives by!
ET had a go at the tractor pull. It was a lot harder than he thought it would be, but he did a great job!
The band played a show for an hour and half after the parade.
Here everyone is gathered for the turkey dinner.
My Grandma could not let us leave town without taking us on at least one small adventure. (She took me and my sisters on so many adventures growing up). We all hoped in one car, and went off-roading to a secluded cemetery. The gravestones were dated back to the 1800's! Grandpa's ancestors were buried there! I had no idea that Grandpa's ancestor's last name was Ulen and they started the town many years ago! On our way out of the woods, we passed by the farm Grandpa grew up on!
We arrived back to Bemidji at 8:30 pm on Saturday night. It was raining and so we were all a bit bummed that we could not have a campfire. We put the kids to bed and the rest of us stayed up late talking. I had my mom explain her family history to Jay. She is truly a remarkable woman to have come from such a background!
On Sunday, we woke to the sounds and smells of my Mom cooking a feast in the kitchen! We slowly ate and drank our coffee and got ready for the day. We walked around the yard and took in all the sights and sounds of the new place! It was beautiful! I am so bummed I completely forgot to take pictures of my parents and their new home! Oh well, just another excuse to get up there in the Fall to see all the beautiful colors.
Of course we had to stop by Paul Bunyan Park...
Next, we headed over to the college. My Mom and Dad showed all of us where they shared their first kiss! :) I have never seen them so peaceful and so happy than they are in this town.
We played at a park near Lake Bemidji...
We had lunch at the Green Mill before heading out of town. It only took us four hours to get home! We enjoyed ourselves so much and we cannot wait to go again! It seems like life literally slows down when we go up north! We love it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























I had such a great time this weekend! I can't wait for it to happen again
ReplyDeleteSo fun! Wow...looking at those pics of the Turkey BBQ really brought back memories. We were the "city" kids! Crazy.
ReplyDelete