
After a few peaceful minutes, we started to hear growling noises coming from the other end of the house somewhere.

Now you might find that strange where you live, but in our home it is just an average evening. With Jay for a husband and father, the kids and I know all too well the jokes he can play on us. So Nate just kept on reading...

ET initially came running into Nate's room giggling and laughing like crazy. However, after a few minutes of Jay not revealing himself, ET started to worry a bit.
See I was unaware that Jay had actually turned off all the lights and gone downstairs to get something! Luckily, I was able to calm down ET and convince him that it was daddy, and that he was playing a joke on us.
Then the growling started to get louder and louder...

Even with ET showing an increased amount of suspense, Nate continued to read his books, showing no worries and absolutely no regard for what was about to happen...

I didn't tell you, but the "something" that Jay had gotten from downstairs was an old Halloween costume. The costume was of Sylvester the cat. It was so large that it covered him from head to toe. The head of this costume is about two feet wide, and the eyes are very hard to see out of. Jay growled for nearly five minutes before jumping out like a terrible mean gnashing monster. He ran into Nate's bedroom with full intent to SCARE ET and Nate. Mind you, the costume alone would have scared Nate enough, but the fact that Jay was acting like a mean old monster made things terribly worse.
So now, Jay was making LOUD monster noises, ET was laughing enourmously, Nate was SCREAMING with fear, and I was yelling at the top of lungs to "TAKE IT OFF!!!" Unfortunately, with all the noise and being that the costume was hard to see out of, Jay did not exactly listen right away. I scooped Nate up in my arms to help shield his sight.
Once the costume was removed, and I shared a few choice words for my darling husband, Jay quickly realized what he had just done. Let me tell you, I have never felt a child tremble with such fear. Nate literally was shaking from the inside out. Once he realized that daddy was not a terrible mean old monster, he sat on his lap and would not move for nearly a half hour. I was afraid he was not even going to be able to sleep that night.
Luckily, Nate did sleep, and has actually been just fine. We did our best to explain to him that the cat costume is just clothes. Since then he is actually okay with it, and no longer cries when ET puts it on for fun. Hindsight, the story is all very funny. Jay completely acknowledges the major brain fart he had, but he puts a positive spin on it by saying he has prepared Nate for Halloween. :)
I love my husband dearly. I love his humor - it is one major reason why I married him. He keeps me on my toes, and lightens the mood nearly all the time. There is nothing I would change about him. I am actually thankful he can make us laugh so much. However, I am also thankful I have very strong and resilient boys who can go with the flow.
After Nate had calmed down that night, ET BEGGED Jay to go in the basement with him and play "scary monster" again with the costume...and of course, he did. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment