Monday we learned about Green Eggs and Ham.

We started out the morning with toast, applesauce and a green hard-boiled egg. Being that I needed to make a dozen green eggs, I just used water (3/4 cup), vinegar (2 T.), and food coloring (about 20 drops) to dye the eggs.


For circle time I started by introducing the kids to who Dr. Seuss once was. I showed them a photo of Dr. Seuss and informed them of a few fun facts....
1. Dr. Seuss's birthday was March 2nd.
2. Dr. Seuss died at the age of 87.
3. Dr. Seuss was a famous author and illustrator and made 44 children's books. Humor came easy for him. He loved nonsense, and said it "woke up his brain cells."
4. Dr. Seuss's real name was Theodor Seuss Geisel.
5. Dr. Seuss was not a real doctor at all. He went to school to get his PhD, but ending up not graduating.
6. Dr. Seuss was married, but never had kids.
7. Dr. Seuss's first book was, And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street. This book was denied roughly 30 times before it was published!
8. Dr. Seuss's last book was, Oh The Places You'll Go!
9. One of Dr. Seuss's last known recorded words of advice were...We can, and we've got to, do better than this!
After introducing the kids to Dr. Seuss, I read the book Green Eggs & Ham.
I asked the kids various science questions about ham and eggs...
1. Where does ham come from?
2. Do humans lay eggs?
3. Do all animals lay eggs? Which animals lay eggs?
4. Which eggs do humans eat?
5. What animal lays the largest egg? The smallest egg?
Afterward, the kids practiced writing their names on name-tags that ended with -I AM. After everyone completed their name-tags, I gathered them up and asked them to read each name as a group. The kids identified the first and last letter in each person's name and what sound that letter makes.

Next, the kids had a chance to be creative while making a critter of their choice with egg cartons and various art materials (paint, pipe cleaners, pom-poms, googly eyes).









Nate was fascinated with the feel of the new tacky glue. :)


Next was a game of "Pin the Green Eggs on the Plate!"



Next up was a game of Tic-Tac-Toe on the floor with green eggs and ham. :)



Next was a game of BINGO with numbers 1-20. The kids took turns picking an egg from the basket and calling out the number to their friends. We used egg shaped jelly beans as our markers. :)



We couldn't go outside yesterday because the wind chill was a bit extreme, so we colored a "color by letter" page of Sam and his friend. We realized while coloring this that Dr. Seuss never gives the name of Sam's friend in the book. After nap, we were able to complete a few more Dr. Seuss related worksheets.

While I prepared lunch, the kids took turns listening to the audio version of the book.

For lunch the kids ate green scrambled eggs and ham & cheese crescent rolls. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment