
I asked that the kids wear silly socks on this day. The kids loved this, and they shared a lot of giggles comparing socks with one another.

When circle time began, I started by reading both books to the kids. Next, we talked about how one foot is called a foot, but more than one foot is called feet. We also talked about how one footprint is called a footprint, but more than one is not called feetprints, they are called footprints! :)
I asked the kids to name the opposites of the following: left foot, wet foot, slow foot, high foot, etc. Then I asked them to come up with their own opposite.
The kids also answered these discussion questions...
Do all animals have feet? Which do not? Can you think of an object that has feet? (Table, chair, bathtub). I wrote the numbers 2, 4, 6, & 8 on the white board. We talked briefly how these numbers are said when skip counting by twos. Then I asked the kids to come up with a list of animals that have 2, 4, 6 or 8 legs and/or feet. While doing this, we learned that an insect always has 6 legs. That means that not all bugs are considered insects! We learned that a spider is actually an arachnid, and not an insect.
Do all animals have toes like us? What animal can you think of that has toes? How many toes do we have? What other part of your body do we have 10 of? We practiced counting in English and Spanish.
Next, I made each of the kids footprints on a folded piece of paper with the same color ink. We identified the differences between a human footprint versus an animal footprint. I posted the footprints on the wall and we guessed whose each one belonged to.



Next I showed the kids picture cards of different animals and the tracks they make. We played a game of Memory with the picture cards.

Afterward, we completed a worksheet where we drew a line matching the correct animal up with its tracks.


Next, we discussed what conditions work best for making footprints? Can we make footprints on the cement? Why or why not? We conducted a science experiment where we placed our foot in dry sand and then wet sand. We discussed which one we thought was better for making footprints.


Next we headed back to floor to learn a bit about measurement. I asked the kids to compare the length of their feet to the measurement of a foot on a ruler. We identified that all of our feet were smaller than a real foot.

We were also asked to find something in the room that was smaller and bigger than our foot.

Lastly, we completed a measurement activity where we measured how many steps it took to get from the base of the stairs to various places around the room. We were asked to first write our prediction on our paper and then the actual results.



For story time, I had two helpers hold the Fox In Socks book while we listened to the audio version on CD.

For snack we made animal tracks with chocolate pudding and animal crackers! :)






I learned that Nate loves chocolate pudding! He ate all his animal crackers, and drank all his milk and had three helpings of pudding. I actually said no when he asked for a fourth helping! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment